Read here to find out what is going on in class, deadlines, and staff assignments.
Your final is a demonstration of our student learning objective.
Working individually and in teams, all students will be able to design and present a solution to a problem or challenge by creating a plan, managing their time to meet milestones, and efficiently using tools and technology appropriate for their course.
How you will demonstrate:
1. Pick one topic from the board, put your name by it to claim it.
2. Use this template from InDesign and fill in the template, demonstrating a summary of the topic. You are allowed to modify the headline package but not the photo layout.
3. To receive 100% on this, points will be given for:
-supporting main photo and headline (15 pts)
-creative headline (15 pts)
-creative sub-headline (10 pts)
-supporting photos (5 pts)
-captions for photos (10 pts)
-sub stories to support the topic (15 pts)
-dates in folio (5 pts)
-a joke to support the topic (5 pts)
-body copy that includes quotes or summarizes the event. (10 pts)
-save as a jpg and save to google folder "final for yearbook" as a demonstration of final learning. Don't forget to type in your name into the Padlet. (10 pts....but if you don't do this step, you won't get any points...)
You have 90 mins. to complete all of this.
What are we learning:
All students will be part of editing the spring supplement and determining, as a team, whether the supplement is print ready, by the end of class today. Secondly, all members in the class will market the book through various social media accounts, determined by your leaders, for the purpose of elevating our sales. Students will discover how social media, as a free source of advertising, can contribute to boosting a company's revenue.
Why are we doing this:
Editing: valuable tool that you will use in future life. How do you know when something is ready to be sent for others to read? You proofread multiple, multiple times.
Marketing: selling a product, a project, a resource to others for the purpose of payment. How do you promote an event? You market it. You will use this skill in your future life at whatever job you will work at...challenge me...give me one job you do not have to market yourself!
How are we demonstrating mastery of learning?
As a team, each one will review the spring supplement on O'Ryan's computer, determining whether a story is ready for print. Refer to check list on the previous blog post to make sure you included all components on your story.
Marketing: each member of the team will send messages to at least four friends advertising pages in the book.
Check in: I need to know about these stories. Whatever is in red is currently missing in the grade book.
We are reviewing all of the stories placed into InDesign layouts today, with a partner, checking for spelling, punctuation errors, pixelated photos, and folio. Once approved by a partner, you can send to O'Ryan for grading.
This is the last major project, and the goal is to have this ready and published online before our boooks arrive next week.
Everyone is assigned a partner for review
Use this Check list:
-main photo supports the headline
-sub-headline provides additional support to headline
-folio contains the writers name
-folio contains a joke
-folio contains the date range of the event
-all sub stories are filled in
-captions are written for each photo, with student names and grades
-photos have a number next to all of them.
1) Every one will pull up their work, so we can see what's all done, and what not is done.
2) Discuss if you think that it will be able to be done by the end of the day or not.
3) Leadership team will discuss what stories are allowed to be cut from the supplement.
We will learn how to get everything done before our deadline of MONDAY
So we can learn efficient time management and not have to stay late Monday night.
1. Check-in and see where we're at on our stories
2. Finish the things that you need to do
1. Check-in and see where we are at, what do you need to go further into getting this done?
1. Pull up ypur work
2. Ashley will come by everyone and sit for at least ten minutes each and make sure you're close to finished
1. Finish everything up, Monday will be a review day for everything
This week we will turn in the first of stories due. We will learn to quickly and efficiently turn in our stories with a 3 day timeline.
In order to meet out timeline and deadline of May 14th!
1. Discuss how Thursday went (10 minutes)
-Do this padlet
2. Ashley and design team meet and discuss the designs (20 minutes)
3. Double check what you're doing here (rest of class)
-Keep working, our first deadline is tomorrow for the people who had stories that happened last week
1. All stories from the dates of 4/23 - 4/26 are DUE TODAY
2. Team leaders will be checking and making sure that these stories are due (all of class)
3. People who have stories due later, keep working on them (all of class)
1. Anything new? (15 minutes)
-Lets brainstorm as a class and make sure that there is nothing new happening right now in our school
2. People with stories that happened on May 1st start entering in your content onto spreads (60 minutes)
-People who have things that are happening later, I want to see your background work (15 minutes)
1. Enter in your content/ show team leads work from this week (40 minutes)
2. Team leads meet and discuss which team has gotten the most accomplished (10 minutes)
3. Week reflections on the padlet (10 minutes)
WHERE OUR NEW DESIGNS ARE LOCATED!!!
Yrbk 17-18 --> designs --> final spreads --> spring spreads
link is here
We will learn how to start our spring supplement by adapting to our new leadership team.
In order to learn how to adapt to new situations and learn how to quickly and efficiently begin on a new project.
1. Ashley and Andy will meet and discuss how to figure out how to learn what events are happening and show Nissi, Simone and Kaba what they need to do
2. Niss, Kaba and Simone meet with your teams and let them know what you expect from them this semester
- have them write down what they're going to do during this project to help this class and project be successful
3. Leadership team meet to see how the new assigning system is going to work
1. Nissi, Simone and Kaba assign people to their new stories and introduce the new assigning process
2. Begin working on your new stories
Link for stories here
Ashley will not be here today, so Andy will be running things today!
1. Andy will introduce things that we could be doing before our event actually occurs
- A short list of ideas of what you can be doing here
2. Students will write on our padlet what they will be doing in order to prepare for their spreads
3. Start working on your assignments; team leader check in in the last ten minutes of class
- Nissi, Simone, Kaba, Mircia and Andy discuss which team they believe worked hardest this week
Learn how to accomplish our goals and in a manner of quickly and efficiently.
To learn how to manage our time and accomplish goals.
1. Mr. C will tell you what you have to do for the rest of the book
1. Finish what Mr. C told you to do yesterday
2. See if anyone needs help with anything
3. WE ARE FINISHING THE BOOK TODAY
1. Talk about if we were successful this time
- Why? What happened?
_ If positions are not filled we will have to assign people to positions
* Even past leaders are encouraged to apply.
NEW PROJECT. NEW DAY. NEW POSSIBILITIES. NEW OPPORTUNITIES.
2. Begin talking about our next steps and what we're going to start doing
1. Begin working on what we discussed on Thursday
2. Team Leads to be selected.
3. Brainstorm ideas for effective team participation/productivity accomplishment tactics using Padlet.
4. Team Leads meet and discuss planning for Spring Supplement.
This week we will learn how to work hard while dealing with the stress and figuring out ways how to deal with missing our deadline.
To learn how to manage our time better and learn how to deal with not meeting a huge deadline.
1. Class meeting (15 minutes)
-Receive our check lists
- Come up with a game plan
- Discuss why we didn't meet our deadline; what happened?
2. Get started on our checklists (30 minutes)
- Zhane help the staff with this
- Kaylin meet with Ashley to package baby dedications (15 minutes)
- Caleb meet with Ashley to discuss the index and club pictures (5 minutes)
- Kris keep working on sports pictures
-Design team work with Zhane to work with the staff; help with design issues on our website
-Simone, Lincoln and Ashley will meet to talk about basketball spreads (5 minutes)
THIS CHECKLIST MUST BE DONE BY THE END OF CLASS
1. There is testing today, but you should still be workin on getting the content that you need for your spread
1. Everyone will come in for our after school workday and keep working on getting the content put into their spreads and editing and uploading
1. Before school workday
-This is an EXTRA 90 minutes that is CRUCIAL to getting everything FINISHED
2. Second checklist MUST BE DONE BY THE END OF CLASS
3. After school workday we will finalize everything and submit our book
1. Discuss if we met our second deadline goal or not
- Why were we successful/ why were we not successful?
The Final Stretch
This week we will continue to learn how to accomplish our goal of COMPLETING this book, by learning new ways to make our work ethic more efficient. Our FINAL DEADLINE is Friday.
We want to make sure that everyone gets their book before they leave this school! If we do not finish by Friday we wont have a yearbook, and there will be a lot of people to answer to.
HOW are we going to do it?
1) Check-in; where are we at, at this moment?
2) Convert ALL our stories into JPGs and upload them
3) Continue to finish your stories/pages/spreads
- how to package
- how to convert to jpg
- log ins to edesign
1) Work day! Finish your old and new stories (all of class)
-Here's what you have to do
2) Have a friend review the pages you've submitted
3) Once you are finished, proofed and approved - celebrate your accomplishment! You did it!
4) IF YOU'RE NOT FINISHED, YOU CAN COME
After School and Before School Times:Monday, Wednesday: After school
Thursday: Before AND after school
1) COMPLETE THE PIECES YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR.
2) Let's submit our book and pat ourselves on the back.
3) LAST STEP: INDEX.
Put page numbers next to the names in this file. As you type in the numbers, separate with commas, and write in ascending order.
Example: Ashley Walden 2, 4, 15, 34